Hello hungry peoples,
I love lemon meringue pie and this slice contains all of the best elements without all the hassle. It is inspired by a citrus slice that my co-worker Bridgette brought into the office. She is a fellow foodie and sold me immediately on it. Instead of a pie crust, you make a simple biscuity crust that you can then place the citrus “curd” layer onto (without having to cook it separately). Topped with some whipped egg whites and you are ready to go. I made this baby for New Years where there was many a lemon meringue connoisseur and they went nuts for it. Let’s get into it!
Lemon Meringue Slice
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 serves
Calories per serving: 277
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup castor sugar
- Juice and rind of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp of cornflour
- First lets get you ready to go. Preheat your oven to 180 ° C. Butter a pie baking pan and line with baking paper. You don’t want any stickage!
- Now to the crust! Mix 1 cup of plain flour, 1/4 cup icing sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Grate a 1/3 cup of cold butter into the flour mixture and incorporate using your fingers.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake until lightly golden (about 15 minutes or so).
- Next for the filling whisk together the 1 cup castor sugar, 2 eggs, lemon rind and juice until smooth. Stir in the 2 tablespoons flour and a pinch of salt.
- Now we work on the topping. Whip 4 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Incorporate a cup of icing sugar with 4 tbsp of cornflour into the mixture.
- Pour filling mixture over the hot crust. Top with meringue, gently spreading it to cover the filling. I like to make swirly patterns here.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until set.
- Allow to cool before serving.